Article

Morocco 2026: Is it time for Africa to host another World Cup?

South Africa was the first African nation to host the World Cup in 2010. The 2010 World Cup was awarded to South Africa over Morocco and Egypt.

Morocco has not given up.

The North African nation presented its bid book to FIFA on Friday and is the only rival to a joint bid from the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

Bid organisers have been campaigning on Twitter with the hashtag 

Infrastructure

Morocco would need to spend almost $16 billion to prepare to host the 2026 World Cup, with every proposed stadium and training ground built from scratch or renovated, bid organisers said on Saturday.

With less than three months to go until the FIFA vote, Morocco presented the first significant details of its proposal to take on the joint bid from the United States, Canada and Mexico.

The North American bid plans to rely on existing infrastructure, including large National Football League stadiums already hosting events.

For the first time, a high-risk bid that does not meet FIFA’s expectations on facilities and profit can be disqualified before the governing body’s congress votes on June 13.

When FIFA officials score the bids, infrastructure of which half relates to stadiums will account for 70 percent of the panel’s mark. The remaining 30 percent is based on projected costs and revenues.

Voting

Up to 207 of the 211-member federations will vote on June 13 in Moscow, with the four bidding members excluded.

In aiming for transparency, FIFA’s pledge to publish the choice of each member could affect the voting. The secret ballot in presidential elections allows members to vote freely and defy orders from regional or continental leaders.

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn0
929 views

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *