Adding to the more than 100 girls still missing after they were abducted from their school in the north-east Nigerian town of Chibok in 2014, is a fresh abduction of dozens of schoolgirls by militant Islamist group Boko Haram this week.
Authorities said on Wednesday the Dapchi girls had been rescued, but later backtracked and said they were still missing.
At least 76 schoolgirls from the village of Dapchi were snatched by a faction of the Islamist group this week, according to the government, in a mass kidnapping that echoed the abduction of some 220 girls from a Chibok school in April 2014.
Some of the Chibok girls managed to escape shortly after they were seized, while about 100 have been freed in exchange for Boko Haram militants, in negotiations brokered by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
Some Nigerians have been furious about this abduction, it reminds them about the Chibok girls who have been separated from their parents for more than 3 years, some of these girls are mothers already. To them the Federal Government has not learned a lesson form the kidnap of Chibok girls.
Nigeria can't protect her girls, she sends them to isolated schools, Nigeria never learn, there's nothing that makes it impossible for another dozens of school girls to be abducted again in future . Absolutely nothing, the state clearly did not learn after CHIBOK. We don't learn
— Khaleesi (@AbangMercy) February 24, 2018
And they know the political value of school girls. Chibok happened one year before the 2015 elections. It's one year before 2019 elections. Govt ought to have known that large scale kidnapping was still an option for BH, especially during elections.
— E. T. Marclint (@TEMarclint) February 24, 2018
During GEJ, 200 chibok girls were kidnapped and over 50 of the chibok girls are still in Boko Haram.
Just this week, government school girls were kidnapped by Boko Haram terrorist in Yobe state.
Has Boko Haram been defeated?
It's high time FG stop negotiating with terrorist
— Iyá Lájè Of Lagos (@newscantell) February 22, 2018
Some are asking questions why it happens only before presidential elections.
The president of Nigeria on his twitter handler apologized and assured citizens that they have everything under control. But most Nigerians do not share his view.
The entire country stands as one with the families, and with the government and people of Yobe State. This is a national disaster. We are sorry that it happened; we share your pain. Let me assure that our gallant armed forces will locate and safely return all the missing girls.
— Muhammadu Buhari (@MBuhari) February 23, 2018